Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mt Bike into town

Lance from the UK is planning on biking the Annapurna circuit and therefore has a mountain bike. My eyes lit up when he arrived, he read me like a book and said if you ever want to go for a ride please go!
We heard there was cheese for sale in town and everyone started talking pizza. So I volunteered to go get everything on Lance's bike.
I set off at 6.30 am for the 800 M vertical drop in about 8 km ride.
My day dreams of cruising through the country side at pace was dashed by the track full of sharp rocks. It was complex, rutted, and came across buffalo walking who absolutely freak out at seeing a bright bicycle.  At one stage I came around the corner suddenly confronted by with a stand off of 3 buffalo. The local walking them was tense, the buffalo swaying his head as if he was choosing which side of me to bold for. With the help of another scared local we gingerly carried the bike down a bank into the bush's. We waited and watched the bulls pass.
I figured the bike was almost silent and was far quicker down the track than any motorbike or 4x4 jeep. So I kept surprising people and animals as I turned up. On the way up I surprised a group of monkeys feeding on the sides of the road. I slammed the breaks on and counted 6 run across only meters in front of me.
In all it was a 40 minute ride down and a 2 hrs 10 up. I had about 12+ kg of fruit and vegetables in the pack including a whole kg of yummy yak cheese. Whole shopping trip took 6 hrs as each stall would only have one thing I needed or try and charge me double.
The pizza that night was fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment