Search This Blog

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Fixing a PC

Shamser came to and said "I need you to fix a PC, its for an important man, please come?"
Sure I said, so off we went to a stone house typical of the village, inside the bedroom with clay mud floor and walls with a cieling hi enough for me to sit on the bed just in between the wooden ceiling beam, there was the PC on the floor.
First it gave me a small electric shock from the case, but that is all it did.
So I said "I needed to take it home" not knowing where to even start.
I spent the next 45 minutes listening to Shamser talk passionately about his new school and drinking sweet tea pulling faces at a 1 year old baby.
Once home there was a power cut for 24 hours so I helped my self to the radio repeater shed which has a good UPS. Check the array of car battery's!

Without going into step by step, I found 3 faults.
*RAM was faulty 
*Keyboard wire had been cut and someone had stripped all the wires to make a good connection and taped them together. Eg shorting them all together.
*The 4 way power box had a surge protector and somehow had  faulted in such a way it made the chassis give a small electric shock. This I don't really under stand, the houses have no earth and the neutral has a fuse as well as the live circuit. None of the cabling is colour coded. Blue for everything sometimes yellow for the whole house.
So robing some parts from another old computer it was all go.

Under the monitor is a Radio transmitter reading 240watts at 101.5 MHz FM
A small digital receiver was hanging on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment