Search This Blog

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Chimney

Surprising that Smoke in houses from small clay cooking stove's is a real pain in the village. 
Apparently other westerners have explained the benefits and a few had tried to build one with limited success. Every morning I watched as Kalpana made hot chai and breakfast  on a basic mud pit with no chimney. Smoke poored everywhere. I explained the physics of a chimney drawing the hot air up and fueling the fire to burn hotter and cleaner. They said "can you build me one"
With a small team of helpers keen to get muddy I quickly checked the internet for some basic design ideas and to check my own thought's were on track. I drew a basic diagram with the only dimensions of chimney bore of 100m height min 1.25 M.
Clarissa helped out with the mud science getting the poo, goat hair and clay mix right.
The team of 5of us spent 2 mornings in the sun building it. 
We all concluded it would take 4-5 days to dry before firing it to avoid cracking but the next morning i awoke at 6 am to find Kalpana happily heating chai on it, I wasn't sure what to say as I watched it steaming. I thought o no all that work wasted and they will never believe a chimney is any good!
So I said nothing and just watched the clean steamy smoke coming from the chimney.
It worked a treat, yes it cracked A little but we rubbed a thing clay mix over it later on and looks great with no major structural cracks.

Tara and Luke make  mud mortar
Tony and I with the old cooking fire in the background with a pot on it.
Tara and Lukes job was to add the goat hair, cow poo, and water to the sieved subsoil to make the mortar.
Olga on the job with the kids. 
Soil settling test in a glass. 20% clay, 50% loam, 30% sand. 
Setting out the rocks.

Making a cook top


Tara talking to Yan about mud consistency
Drying in the sun
Success, a working chimney drawing nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment