Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chicken tractor I built

Over my time at Pun Pun I built a chicken tractor from recycled teak.

I had a number of challenges, only able to use parts mainly already around which was limited and tools were like ghosts.  Tools existed and were around but you never knew where or when you would find one.  Even when you had something someone would borrow it back and not say anything.
Result is it took a couple weeks to build, they even bought a brand new drill for me to complete it.:-)

I learned to exercise patience.

Basic frame 3 M long, 1.2 M triangle.
All joints checked in for extra strength
Nesting platform at the back and roosting poles in the middle.
Kids worn out from helping with the netting!
I made bamboo gate to close off at night so you the chickens stay in the upper roosting place to allow the chicken to be shifted the next day.

Some thatching to keep the rain and sun off them
Like checking out the door to refill their water and food.
First day in use. 5 chickens resident. Grass and weeds at least a foot high.
One returning from laying an egg.

1 comment: